Saturday, November 26, 2011

..And all that jazz!

I just got home from working a private function at the restaurant where I work, which featured a live (fantastic) jazz band, they were just jamming for the whole shift. If everyone's life were full of live, free-form jazz at their place of employment, the World WOULD be a better place.  Live is important because it brings me great joy to see the faces of jazz musicians.  They are unlike any other, and have somehow perfected what I call "Jazz Face".  Its kind of a cross between a comedic "orgasm" face, and what one might presume to be the look you would have on your face if you just poo'd in your pants.  It really cements the whole live feel for me, and I took great pleasure in the Jazz Faces this afternoon!  First track up is a guy... err young man we shall call him, Nicolas Jaar(he's only 21 and been releasing music since he was 14!).  The more I learn about and more importantly, hear from this incredibly talented producer, the more I am in love.  It's not a brand new track but still, pretty awesome.  His edit of one of my favorite songs, Nina Simone's "feelin' good".

Nicolas Jaar - Nicos feelin' good

There was considerable debate amongst a few of my friends how it was, exactly, that we came across this next one. But it turns out that our friend Gary had a DJ friend visiting from Barcelona and she dropped it while she was here in Toronto playing at Comfort Zone.  Its got a little sexy vocal to it and just makes me wanna dance around my house with a duster in hand.  You know... to keep the place clean.

Miguel Campbell - Something Special

And finally I've been meaning to post this one for a little bit but what can I say, I get distracted.  One of the new musical loves for me this year has been Fritz Kalbrenner. You wanna talk about a great album to go for a very long bike ride to?  His album " Here Today Gone Tomorrow", is just that.  This track isnt from that album, infact, its not even produced by him! but he is featured on it as a vocalist.  And its very much in his style.  His label mate at Suol Records, Trickski invited him to guest on his album "Unreality", which got a TERRIBLE review on Resident Advisor, but I actually quite enjoy it. Hope you do too.

Trickski feat. Fritz Kalkbrenner - Without You

No comments:

Post a Comment