Saturday, February 25, 2012

Way back playback (cover/remix edition)

I've been trying to stick to only going to clubs where the music sucks so I won't be tempted to dance.  This might sound crazy, but my knee still isn't dancefloor ready, and won't be for quite some time.  Its kinda frustrating though, and yesterday I couldn't resist going out to Deko-ze's birthday party @ Footwork...and then maybe I went somewhere else too but in any case... it was great to be with friends and hear proper music & celebrate someone's birthday. What more could you ask for? How about inspiration for a blog post!

White Horse by Laidback.  I'm sure you all know the song.... did you know its by two, tall skinny white boys from Denmark?  Ever since I heard that song I've had this image of this funky group of black dudes from Brooklyn in shiny disco suits slappin' the bass and gettin' funky while they're playing this song.  Finding out that its these two rather dorky Danish guys COMPLETELY, and i do mean completely threw me for a loop.  So at this point I say, not only is that song amazing, but you should really check out Bakerman by them too(I think I may even have posted something about it on here when i started the blog?heres the video on Youtube directed by Lars vonTriers. actually.).  These guys were really a class apart in my books. Which brings me to the post. ahem.  Track #1 of 2 inspired by last nights outing(s): White Horse by Wonderland Avenue.  How this song was made 6 years ago and I never heard it boggles my mind.... actually maybe i did hear it but didn't have the advantage of the wondrous apps Shazam & SoundHound! So thanks Greg Gow, or as I like to call you, Greg Wow, for delivering it to my earzies.

 Wonderland Avenue - White Horse

And next up, a gent who was very prominently featured on all of the hand-me-down school binders I received from my sister when I started school, Mr Corey Hart. And ya thats right, I had binders with I love Corey Hart scrawled all over them courtesy of my sister who is 9 years my senior. Ask the 5yr old little boy starting school if he minds.. Hell No! he'd say, cuz he actually DOES love Corey Hart. So much so, that in my Grade 1 school photo I made sure I popped my collar as an homage to my (at that moment) musical icon. Its pretty hilarious really. Anyhoo, I'm not sure if this was Deko-ze's production partner on Disco Fans, Jerome Robbins who played this or the visiting from Germany Jay Frog, but thanks! They played a different remix of it that was a bit more techy (the D.I.M mix), but I've chosen the much more housey sound of Tocadisco for the blog post... Its just that kinda day.  Yes we all hate those jack asses with sunglasses on in the club, but this song- to me anyway, is so friggin bad ass. Maybe thats my 5 yr old ears listening?

Tiga & Zyntherius - Sunglasses At Night (Tocadisco Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment