Sunday, February 26, 2012

a little something a la mode

Theres so much music out there.  So many different genres & sub-genres, and different "styles" or whatever you want to call them.  Its impossible to hear everything that might move us or touch us in some way.  Chances are, your favourite song ever... you'll never hear it.  I mean I'm 32, and it seems to me that sometime in the last 30 years the executives in charge of the Big Business side of the music industry decided that rather than supporting the arts, they would suck it dry and replace it with repetitive glittery puff balls. I like glitter, but really,  someone tell  Simon Cowell to piss off already. Wow i kinda got lost on a little tangent there(escapé).  I think the point I was trying to make was I spend more time than someone who doesn't earn a living from music arguably should, online reading about music and listening to music and well, I'm a little bit obsessed and still stuff passes me by for years at a time. Like for instance this beauty from Antony & The Johnsons.

I love Antony & The Johnsons, this was apparently on a single only release in 2009 so I guess that its acceptable that I missed it.  And despite my little tirade in paragraph #1 about radio shlock... some of it is good.  I do, for instance, really like the original of this cover done by the parents of little blue ivy or ivy blue or whatever she's called.  And its fun to post something other than bangin' house tunes sometimes :)

Antony & The Johnsons - Crazy In Love

And I found this album that I downloaded about a year ago and had completely forgotten about hidden in a random folder on my desktop! Love it when that happens.  SomethingALaMode are a duet of classically trained French boys who grew up on club culture.  I'm a big fan of Albums as an art form all their own.  I think putting together a solid albums worth of material that is cohesive, and varied where each track compliments the other in some way is a skill that clearly, not everyone has. This is one of the more up-tempo tunes on the album, with several of the track being nice simple string arrangements with a little funk to 'em. Nice to see people with the skill and knowledge of music they have explore the other side of culture and put out music like this. Neato.

SomethingALaMode - By Your Side





No comments:

Post a Comment