Friday, February 3, 2012

Sad songs always sound so pretty

Ever notice how some tunes have this gorgeous beat and just hearing it is cheering you up, and then you start to focus on the lyrics.  I love me a good lyric, and for some reason I have always found that kinda melancholic,"depressing" music to be a bit cheerful.  Someone like say Fiona Apple. She doesn't exactly instil the average listener with glee, but something in the way her songs are structured or maybe its her voice.. I dunno, it just kinda cheers me up.  Then you get something like the couple of tracks I have for you today.  Pretty sounding songs with this underscored sadness and hate. I LOVE IT!

First up is Steffi.  Steffi is regarded as "The First Lady of Berghain",  so you would naturally assume mind assaulting German minimalist tech. But if you did, like me, you would be wrong.  This is the opening track from the  Panorama Bar mix volume 3, done by Prosumer... and given how nice the opening track was I figured I was in store for a really great mix. Well guess who is batting 0 for 2! Me. To each their own but... its all over the place, pretty off the wall track selection, theres no real flow to it and doesn't really feel like its going anywhere. This opening track however is great and serves as a great example of what I was talking about up there in paragraph numero uno.

Steffi - Sadness

And to really drive home my point....

GusGus - Hateful(Ada feat. Mayburg Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment