Friday, September 14, 2012

its just that music in your phone

I can't listen to reggae style beats if its hot out. I've never been to "the islands" but something about that music just makes me really uncomfortable when the sun is shining.  But that exact same music on a rainy day... when its dark and overcast, or shit... it could even be snowing... and well its a totally different kettle(drum) of fish. 

A musician friend of mine living in Amsterdam mentioned a new collaboration between The Orb and Lee "Scratch" Perry and I was obviously pretty curious as its not exactly the first dance partner I would've picked for either of them but now that I've heard it... wow.  The whole album is pretty astounding.. and it just so happens that I'm making my way through it on a particularly dreary day.  Perfect. 

A day I might add, that began with Nicolas Jaar's Essential Mix (without the BBC babble).  I've been seeing it on soundcloud for a little while but I kept skipping past it. I don't know why, as you would think Nicolas Jaar + Essential Mix = Aurgasm.  And you'd be totally correct.  More a masterpiece of thoughtful music than a floorfiller DJ set. But Nicolas Jaar is just that. A Master. The opening bit of dialogue from the man who scored Twin Peaks is so haunting I'm getting chills just typing about it.. I'm also a total geek for cinematic scores so that could explain that.

Ok anyway.. I got a little bit lost there. Here are my fave 2 tracks off the new album The Orbserver In The Star House by The Orb feat. Lee "Scratch" Perry.

The Orb feat. Lee " Scratch" Perry - Ball Of Fire

The Orb feat. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Hold Me Upsetter

Now that we've looked after rainy day music... its time for somethin' to get your feet poppin'... This one was also on that schweet mix Josh made for our last roadtrip.. and what an apt title, seeing as thats where most people have all their music nowadays.

Dixie Yure feat. Uri - Music In Your Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment