Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Holy Ghost!

Its funny how the same name or words can be appropriated completely differently.  I was listening to BBC Radio 6 (6music) on my walk home from physio this morning and Steve Lamacque was asking listeners to check their library and see how many duplicates of the same song they have.. like covers remixes whatever.  And then I'm at home and I hear this track called Holy Ghost! and I start to realize I have seen this before...  So this track is essentially the 90s hip-hop sensation Got Your Money by Ol' Dirty Bastard.  Its pretty fun, and its keeping with my theory that everything old is new again in the spectrum of electronic music. You've got all these versions of The Sound of Violence being played again. You've got life is changing by Cricco Castelli serving as the basic entire track of Alex Kenji's Get Down, and there was the awesome lyric sample of Missy Elliott's lose control in Leon's  Body Monster.  Basically as I get older all these things are coming back... but seemingly faster than they used to.  Maybe producers are getting lazy and not looking far enough back for their samples and inspiration.  No maybe, they are.

Back to the task at hand, I decided to see where I knew Holy Ghost! from and it was a band name.. not a track. but strange how there's an exclamation point in both I thought.  Maybe I'm looking too deeply for a connection that just isn't there.  However as I would expect from music in my iTunes, I quite like both... so here you go.

Holy Ghost! - I Know I Hear (Jacques Renault Remix)

Sharam Jey & Tom Breu - Holy Ghost! (Original Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment